Purchasing a mattress is making an investment into your everyday well-being. We spend a large portion of each day asleep so it is important to have the perfect mattress that fits your needs. However, choosing a mattress is easier said than done. What works for someone else may not work for you and selecting one mattress out of the endless styles and brands can be a headache.
Tier 4 Mattresses understands that choosing a place to sleep for the next 5-10 years can be an overwhelming decision. But don’t worry, keep reading for a step by step guide on the mattress buying process.
Initial Mattress Research
Before heading out to purchase, it pays off to do a little research. This includes familiarizing yourself with the types of mattresses available and the important criteria to consider when selecting a mattress. For more information on these topics, review our informational pages:
Understanding how to pick a mattress based off your personal preferences and sleep behavior can make all the different when it is time to make a decision. For example, after reading about the different types of mattresses available you may be able to rule out a couple of options, making the decision less overwhelming. To learn more about important mattress criteria, review our informational page:
Testing Your Mattress
Once you have gotten a basic foundation of mattress knowledge, proper testing is essential. This means an in-person trip is required. Even if you plan to buy online, there is no substitute for a physical test of your potential purchase. You might find that laying down on a particular type of mattress changes your opinion. Remember – comfort and support are key!
Evaluating A Mattress In The Store
A lot more goes into evaluating a mattress than simply lying down on it for 30 seconds at the store. Tier 4 Mattresses encourages you to be comfortable with your purchase and recommends that you keep the following questions in mind when you are testing your next mattress:
- Is my spine supported so that is aligned in a neutral position? Have a friend or your partner look at you to make sure you are maintaining the natural “S” curve when laying flat on your stomach or back. If you are laying on your side, the line should be straight.
- Do I feel pressure on my shoulders, hips or elbows? Laying down for several minutes and assessing pressure points will allow you to gauge the mattresses ability to provide pressure relief – an essential component for a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Am I comfortable? This is a subjective question but still important. If you aren’t comfortable, try a different mattress!
- How much does the mattress transfer motion? If you share a bed, it is important to know how much your partner’s motion disturbs you. This concept is called, “motion isolation” and should be tested prior to purchasing.
- Is the edge of the mattress stable? You shouldn’t feel like you are going to roll off the side of your mattress. If the mattress compresses too much on the sides, you may want to consider testing out a different mattress for comparison.
Post Store Evaluation
Once you have made a successful trip to the store to test a mattress, you may decide to do some additional research about the mattress you liked best. There are lots of reviews and ratings available online which can help you determine if the mattress is a good long-term investment. Confirming that others have purchased the same model and a satisfied with its’ durability over time can be a useful component on narrowing in on the ideal mattress. Keep in mind, if the reviews are complaining about the mattresses support or comfort, they may have just selected the wrong mattress for their own personal preference.
Bring Home A Luxury Mattress Today!
Tier 4 Mattresses provides a broad range of name brand luxury mattresses at a reduced price. You can secure your own personal tier 4 luxury mattress without over-paying. Our friendly staff is happy to help you with any questions you might have and are always ready to assist. Visit Tier 4 Mattresses today to check out what name brand mattresses we have in stock.